WHY I THREW AWAY MY 10 WARDROBE ESSENTIALS (AND PROBABLY YOU SHOULD TOO!)

A while ago I made a post about my 10 wardrobe essentials/staples and created multiple outfit possibilities with only those 10 pieces. When I wrote that post I was in the beginning of my minimalism journey (which is still going on until now). I was also just started working a corporate job (which I’m also still doing now). I was so sure about how I wanted to project my style within the boundaries of my job’s strict dress code. What I wasn’t so sure about was how strict it was actually going to be. I’m not saying you can’t be creative and having fun when it comes to corporate dressing; of course you can! You should be free to add a “you” element into your work wardrobe, no matter how strict the dress code is. But for me, on top of the strict dress code, I also have to wake up at 5 in the morning and go straight to work with only about 10 minutes to get dressed every day. After weeks of trying to plan my outfits every weekend, I got tired and frustrated, mostly because what I actually want to wear isn’t within the dress code (for example I’m not allowed to wear sweater which is just plain ridiculous). That’s when I realized, this 10 wardrobe essentials system is not quite working for me.
Within my first months of working there, I unconsciously made two separate “wardrobes”: my office/weekday wear and my weekend, more casual, more “me” wear. Overtime, I’ve also developed a sort of “uniform”, which makes getting ready in the morning such a breeze! I designated a certain outfit for a certain day, so I don’t have to think about what I’m going to wear in the morning—I’ll just wear that day’s “uniform” (except for Fridays, because now it’s Casual Friday every Friday at my office). I realized that uniform dressing isn’t for everyone. Some people might get bored or uninspired, but I don’t feel that way. I just make sure that each uniform consists of clothing items that I love and know would look good on me. Plus, I would do anything to get 10 extra minutes of sleep in the morning ;)
Office wardrobe aside, my casual/weekend wardrobe still has the same minimalism principal that I’ve established before. I didn’t actually throw my previous wardrobe essentials—I would probably die without them!—but I now realized that having wardrobe essentials will only work if and when I start to think about what I actually wear on a daily basis. So now I create a brand-spankin’-new 10 wardrobe essentials that leans more to my casual, weekend style, but can also cater to my office’s Casual Friday dress code. I unconsciously picked ALL monochrome pieces, but what can I do, they really do go really well together!

So these are my new 10 wardrobe essentials:
1. Black leather jacket (similar)
My all-time favorite way to toughen up any outfit. I literally wear it with a batik shirt once, lol.

2. Grey speckled cardigan (I also featured it here)
This cardigan has a little bit of a structure on the lapels, so it can give a semi-formal look. A cardigan with a smarter twist, if you will.

3. Striped top
I had this in my previous 10 wardrobe essentials too, and that shows how I just LOVE striped tops! 

4. White basic shirt/blouse (exact)
My current favorite item in my closet; you can dress it up, dress it down, wear it with jeans, wear it with dress pants, pair it with heels, playing it casual with sneakers, in fact, I made a special post just for this much loved item here.

5. White sleeveless top
This one is just an alternative to the previous item on the list. The material and cut of this piece gives off a dressier vibe to me, but the lack of sleeve actually adds a casual element to it. I’ve literally worn it with everything and it never disappoints.

6. Grey mock neck sweater (from H&M, can't find it online!)
After watching Allana Davison’s turtleneck video I was so desperate to get my hands on some turtleneck sweater. Then I realized…Allana lives in Canada. Which is, like, COLD. And I live in Jakarta, which is NOT cold. So in order to get the same vibe without risking myself melting and sweating my bum off under the sun, I opted for a mock sweater instead. Of course I picked the grey one so it would go with everything else that I already own.

7. Black skinny jeans (probably exact, I don't know, F21 overwhelms me)
Why wouldn’t you have a black skinny jeans in your closet??? (I didn’t have it in my previous 10 wardrobe essentials though so joke’s on me lol)

8. Grey trousers (exact)
This pair of dress pants was in my previous 10 wardrobe essentials, only that one was in black. I decided to go for the grey ones because a) I think it gives off a more casual, more “fresh” look, and b) it still goes with everything in my closet. I personally think these should be in everyone’s wardrobe essentials, at all times!

9. Pointed flats (similar)
My absolute most favorite shoes ever!!! I may have exaggerated that a bit but I seriously love this shoes. The style is very simple but they have little details that adds uniqueness to them—the pointed toe, the slight “V” cut at the top, the d’orsay-like style on the sides. I’ve worn them out and also to work, plus they were very inexpensive so I have no complaint.

10.Basic black pump heels (exact)
I have now just realized how classic and essential a pair of black pump heels really are. I always wondered how those simple and casual outfits on Pinterest could look so ladylike and fabulous, and the answer is that they’re paired with heels! I bought this one pair from H&M for work, they were very affordable and just simple, faff-free shoes that—of course I’ll say this phrase again—go with everything I have in my wardrobe. I especially love wearing them with black skinny jeans, and every time I do I always think “now this is a Pinterest-worthy outfit!”

Those are all my wardrobe essentials! I felt like this post is 10000 pages long, so if you stick to the end, thank you very much, I love each and every one of you. I’m pretty sure my wardrobe essentials might change again, but as I said in my previous post, a minimalist wardrobe or wardrobe essentials can only work if it suits your lifestyle and actual day-to-day activities. My lifestyle changed, so my wardrobe staples changed with me, sort of. If you want to know more about my “work uniform”, let me know in the comments and I’ll write a post dedicated to that in the future. As always, I hope this one inspires you and is helpful in some way or another, and thank you so much for reading! Stay tuned if you want to see how I woud style these pieces in my next post! :)

CONVERSATION